Tuesday, August 30, 2011

There Was A BEAR In My DEN!!!

Okay, so... there wasn't a bear in my den, he wasn't really anywhere near my house (I don't think???).  However, there IS a bear moving up from the city and heading our way.  I know this because the news keeps covering him.  I supplement the stories the news does on our soon to be furry scavenging resident with any and everything I can find on him.  I think he is cute, as long as he is south of our little area.  We spend a lot of time outside at parks!  I am not at all okay with him moving close by.  He can come... but he needs to show that he understands boundaries.   

As it turns out, I watched a story just last night on the news.   Tater (the bear), is ever closer.  He is now passing thru Sandy Springs! 

Anyway, this morning our alarmed door chime went off about an hour and 10 minutes after Rusty left for work.  I waited and listened.  I snuck out of our bedroom and peered down the stairs.  I couldn't see anything, but then again, a criminal or bear would not likely be standing at the bottom of the stairs trying to introduce himself. 

I crept down the hall and looked at the doors.  They were all locked.  I leaned over the railing to see the windows.  They were shut.  Still, I *KNEW* Tater had advanced the 20 miles up to our area and had somehow mysteriously broken in.  If it wasn't him... then a man with a gun that was there to steal the kids was waiting ever so quietly.  Neither prospect was a good one. 

Not knowing what to do, I called Rusty.  He sarcastically said, "If that damn bear has learned to both lock and unlock doors, then he would likely be in the mood for a chat and I that I should go find out why he had decided to move out of the city."  Then he made some ridiculous comment about asking Tater, about his thoughts on Suburban sprawl.  Which was followed by him hanging up on me. 

Rude.  Apparently he isn't planning to get a tattoo about guarding and protecting my heart! (if you don't watch the bachelorette, you probably don't understand that... go with it, this is my near death experience!)

I truly, was about to freak out and was actually shaking.  Alarms do not just randomly go off.  Ours never has.  SOMETHING was in my den. 

Admittedly, common sense does not come into play in a situation like this.  I can see how I *may* have overreacted... but regardless, while you may not have been afraid of a bear... hearing your door alarm when no one in the house was awake to open it, is reason for concern!

Finally I came to the conclusion that if a bear or gunman was downstairs, I was going to have to figure out on my own which one it was, so I could call someone to get it/them before it/they got us!

I slowly began my decent down the stairs, on my tip toes, holding my breath, and with my ever protective guard dog... hiding under the bed.   

The ice maker nearly gave me a heart attack.  Having the air conditioner turn on as I was turning the corner on the landing actually caused leakage.  I won't tell you where. 

So I get downstairs. Slowly I go from one wall to the other (like I saw the swat team do on the news).  Making sure not to make any loud noise.  I am about at the door when *something* taps me on my shoulder.

I rotated and jumped back against the front door while screaming at a pitch that made all 6 of the windows in the room rattle.

Poor Tabor.  He had heard me moving around and woken up.  He came to see what was going on.  I was so intent on finding Tater, I never heard Tabor.  Tabor also screamed.  It was remarkably loud for his high pitched little voice.  He too may have had leakage. 

It was waaaay too much for a Tuesday before 8 am!  I do not need more excitement in my life!!  I still have no clue what caused the alarm to go off.  There will, however, be an answer by this evening... or everyone is staying up with me tonight with lanterns and bear spray!  After all, Tater is another day closer!! 

4 comments:

  1. How do you come up with these? I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people would have been afriad of the man with a gun. Leave it to you to be scared of Yogi with the skills of a locksmith. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky Becky Becky. You must get to writing a book. Pronto!

    ReplyDelete